Saturday, May 8, 2010

Open/Closed Shadow Sign

I realize how infrequently I've updated the projects on here -- I distinctly remember looking at the second year students' blogs last year and wondering why they stopped posting. And I guess the answer is just that blogs are hard to keep up!

This is an outdoor sculptural sign that I created for an Art class. It's a miniature model, but the basic idea is that when the sun shines from one direction, it reads "open" and when it shines from the other side, it reads "closed". Ideally it'd be optimized to read most clearly at the time a place opens and closes (and the hours would change as the days got longer).

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I loved this. How difficult would it be to make a metal version of this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really neat ... and clever ... how did you even think of it?

    ReplyDelete