Monday, December 7, 2009

Kiwi Sketch

Pencil sketching was about practicing the process of sketching and seeing through repetition of sketches, as well as about learning about different pencil hardnesses.

I focused primarily on sketches of an orange. I primarily practiced replicating the shape with
accuracy and focuses less on the distribution of light. Citrus is particularly challenging because the thin membranes are very light and the large cellular structure contains most of the darker shades. As such, for my final sketch, I decided to start once again and use a kiwi. The bottom sketch is a close up of the area I boxed in the top one.


In this process, I learned a lot about emphasizing contrasts in shading to really pull your eyes
towards important details. I also started a lot of my final skech with a gray shade and then
darkened areas with the seeds and erased areas that needed to be lighter. This made the kiwi
significantly better than the oranges I had previously worked on.

3 comments: